Monday, June 16, 2008

Calculating

The scene: Julia is on a Skype teleconference with her grandparents, catching up on the events of the week.

Grandma: So Julia, what did you do in school this week?

Julia: A lot of math. We're adding numbers in columns by tens and units. Oh, and I know my 2s time table up to TEN!

Grandma: Wow... that's great!

Grandpa: What's 2 x 8?

Julia: 18

Grandpa: Close, but not exactly. Want to try again?

There is a short pause, during which we all presume that Julia is re-calculating to make sure her next answer will be correct. This turns out to be exactly what she is doing, but not at all in the way we had anticipated.

Julia: I know my 2s times table up to SEVEN!

She may have a way to go where rote memorization of math facts is concerned, but something tells me that when she gets to the problem solving section of the math curriculum, the kid's going to do just fine...

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

that's incredibly funny

10:27 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Definitely a problem solver :) Too funny.

10:43 PM  
Blogger E said...

I love Juila! Creative problem solving is a sign of genius you know....

12:53 AM  
Blogger ~lifedramatic~ said...

That is absolutely amazing. I am not a mom yet, but I'm surrounded by nieces and nephews and they never fail to amaze me.

Good luck keeping a step ahead!

C

http://lifedramatic.spaces.live.com

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home